Basically, all you need are your favorite scraps of fabric and some sewing supplies.
For 'LUV' I used 5 fabrics including a solid for her face and arm, and one for the background. But note: you could use a softly patterned fabric for her skin, just keep in mind you want her stitched facial features to contrast well. And, if using a patterned background, use something that's dramatically different from your fabrics used in creating 'LUV.' I made 'LUV' with a 1/16 th to 1/8 th of a yard of each fabric. For an 8 1/2" x 11" you can use much smaller pieces. For her background, you need enough to create a 4" border or deeper depending on what you will do with the finished piece.
- 3 patterned fabrics (scraps to accommodate pieces of LUV)1 fabric for face and arm (enough to accommodate the pattern)
- 1 fabric for background - 1/2 yard to full yard (depending on finished size)
- Tracing paper and pencil
- Thread (chocolate or other dark color)
- Sewing machine with free-motion foot
- Interfacing for all appliquéd pieces (I did not use, but it makes it easier)
- Embellishments such as ribbon, charms, beads, craft wire