How to Knit a Sweater That Fits You (The First Time)
From Amy Palmer, Editor of Knitscene and Knitscene Accessories
Sweater knitting patterns hold a certain allure to most knitters. The idea of knitting a sweater made by your own hands on chilly evenings sends many of us to our yarn stash to find the perfect yarn in the perfect quantity (finding the perfect pattern is either the easiest thing in the world or a giant chore and there really doesn't seem to be any in between).
|Learn to knit the perfect sweater! With five patterns in all, you'll discover the many wonders of a seamless knit sweater pattern. Available as an eBook.
|This book is one resource every knitter should have. A handy collection of tips for knitting sweaters of all sizes and gauges, plus all those wonderful sweater patterns. Book and eBook available.
|Learn to knit the perfect sweater! With five patterns in all, you'll discover the joy of knitting seamless sweater patterns. DVD or video download available.
The possibility of an ill-fitting sweater, on the other hand, is daunting, frightening, downright terrifying.
But I'm here to tell you that you can knit sweater patterns that fit perfectly. The key to sweaters that fit is having all the information you need.
Here are some tips on how to knit a sweater that fits you:
- Know thyself. If you like wearing sweaters that are loose all over or prefer to emphasize a smaller waist, choose knitting patterns for sweaters that meet those criteria. Not sure about your personal sweater style? Pull out existing sweaters you own that you love and find common factors in those sweaters. Maybe you'll discover you're a fan of easy raglan sweaters or you prefer more textured and tailored silhouettes like those in Connie Chang Chinchio's Textured Stitches. Once you know what you like to wear, you'll set yourself up for success by choosing patterns that you will find interesting to knit and are sweaters you'll want to wear.
- Brush up on knitted sweater construction. The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns and The Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweater Patterns, both by Ann Budd, are exceptional resources for breaking down and understanding the way a bunch of knit and purl stitches form the fabrics that turn into knitted sweaters.
- Measure everything. Too often we get caught up on the bust measurement, when that's just one part of our bodies that will be covered with a knitted sweater. And sweater knitting patterns aren't the most helpful, because that's really the only size listed in most patterns. However, almost all knit sweater patterns will also come with a schematic. Match your measurements to all of the measurements listed for that sweater, so you'll know where to make adjustments.
- Read up on how to create those adjustments, such as bust darts or a reconfigured sleeve cap. For resources on how to customize your knits, watch Laura Bryant's Yarn to Fit DVD and read Amy Herzog's article on Customizing Knit Sweaters from Knitscene Fall 2011 (Amy also has three amazing patterns for knitted sweaters designed with specific body shapes in mind in that issue!).
- Most importantly, expect that you'll make a mistake along the way. Most knitting mistakes are easy to fix; don't let a small error keep you from the joy of your perfect knit sweater.
There are knitting patterns for sweaters out there for everyone—go forth, find yours, and knit away!
Ready to start knitting sweaters that fit you? Discover some of the best resources for knitting sweater patterns available, right here in the Knitting Daily shop. Here are some of Amy's favorite resources, but there are many more to explore throughout the shop. Plus, as a special treat, you get 10% off* today's order with coupon code SAVELP
|It's all about texture with this book. The brand-new collection includes 20 knitwear designs for knitting sweater patterns using a variety of stunning patterned stitches. Book and eBook available.
||Not just knitted sweater patterns, this resource is all about utilizing top down and seamless techniques for stunning knit sweaters. Find five basic sweater knitting pattern types, plus design ideas. eBook available.
||Great for the beginner, but still interesting for more advanced knitters, you'll find all sorts of fun patterns including one jacket, one vest, and two sweater patterns in this fabulous issue. Digital issue available.
||You'll love the article on customizing knitting patterns/sweaters in this issue, along with the three knitted sweater patterns that are designed with different body shapes in mind! Single issue and digital issue available.
||With clever planning and design, this book will get you knitting a sweater that is not only finish free but will fit your shape. With 20 tops in all, you're sure to find the perfect fit for you. Book and eBook available.
*One use per customer, final discounts will be displayed within the cart for qualifying items.
Discount not valid on pre-orders, value packs, subscriptions, and 3rd party products. Other exclusions may apply.